Tuesday, August 18, 2020

To Sew or Not to Sew



Well, today is Tuesday, July 14, 2020. I am not going to post this today, but, will probably post it sometime in the future.

The last 5 months have been horrific for all of us. This Covid-19 virus has taken it's toll in lives, relationships, financially, and in ways too numerous to mention. I have lost sleep so many nights trying to work out the future in my mind. I like to be able to plan and then execute my plans and this virus is not allowing that to happen. I am sick to death of hearing 'social distancing' and 'quarantine' and 'isolation' and 'NO HUGS'!!! I want to hug my Grandchildren so bad it hurts. I know that I'm not the only one thinking that either.

We have probably taken this even farther than many in that we have severely limited our interaction with our Grandchildren. Our lockdown happened just as Austin was returning from Basic and AIT. I think we have seen him twice since the end of February. Conversations outside in South Carolina in the summer weather are anything but cool. Add to that the fact that our adult children are out and about all of the time and who knows what they have been exposed to and we can't be in the same place at the same time. What really scares me here is that we are not exposing ourselves to the everyday germs that help to ward off future illness. While I was working outside of the home...I never got sick, due to alot of natural immunity. I know that I am loosing that as I keep myself closed up in this studio without outside interaction with people. I think that makes me more afraid of what might happen when we can finally be around people again.

Mr. OLT has been home for almost a year. He is still employed (thank goodness and MBI), but he has been fighting the cancer battle on another front while here. Now, he is busy with home improvements as we look into the future with out home.He is sooooo ready to go back to real work in Virginia and that will happen before the end of the year. Exactly when, we are not sure. We have just been so blessed to have him here and somewhat healthy for this time.

I had to cancel our spring Quilt retreat due to the virus. That has hurt my business quite a bit as I depend on profits from retreats to make capital improvements for One Loose Thread Quilting. This years plan was to add Statler to Olivia Gammill. Now, Summer Quilt Retreat may have to be cancelled and that will be another big blow to OLT. So, it looks as though there will be no capital improvements here this year. I just have to try to keep my quilting business afloat so that I can stay in business. I am so very thankful to those of you that continue to bring in quilts for quilting. Please do keep that up as this really is my source of income.

Many people think that we have a really high profit margin for what we do. Let me assure you that we don't. Many of us 'try' to make maybe $20.00 an hour. ( Serious rant removed by One Loose Thread. Totally non-productive from the first word to the last.)

Gravatt Conference Center has been working closely with me over the last few months to try to get us back for retreat. We truly believe that we have planned as well as possible for this retreat. Still, nothing can be assured on Covid-19.

Well, that's enough complaining for today. I'm going to hit the save button for now. I'll come back to this draft another day and we can see how things are going then. Until that time remember--WASH YOUR HANDS--WEAR A MASK-- and  --- STAY 6 FEET AWAY FROM ANOTHER PERSON!!

Today is Tuesday August 18, 2020 and a lot has happened in the last month:


Summer Camp Quilt retreat DID HAPPEN AND IT WAS A GREAT SUCCESS!!! I reduced the number of attendees by half. Increased the available sewing, cutting, ironing space and everyone had a private room. Gravatt worked their magic to give us amazing food as we spread out in the dining hall for meals. Everyone was really good to 'mask up' when close to others and as we went through the line for meals. I had hand sanitizer EVERYWHERE!!! We all maintained a good distance between us and Gravatt staff, so everyone felt comfortable and we enjoyed some much needed quilting/girlfriend time. There was also no discussion of politics or Covid numbers while we were there and many of us needed that break for sure. All of us needed that change of scenery and there is no better place to do that than Gravatt.

I will release information regarding November camp and begin registration for that the first week of September. Many of the same procedures will remain in effect. I will, once again, limit the number of attendees, so it will be first registered gets first in. Once I hit the 'magic number' I will start a waiting list. We have no idea how this Covid stuff will be affecting us in November, but, we will just 'go with the flow'........as they say.

I am going to go ahead with my chosen 'capital improvement' for this year. As I had one machine down for 2 weeks over the summer, I realized how important having the use of 2 machines really is to One Loose Thread Quilting. So, to that end, I will be sending Olivia Gammill off for a retrofit to the Statler system the end of this month. I'm not sure how long that will actually take, but, when she gets home she will be ready to FLY!!! Penelope Statler will be having a spa day when they pick up Olivia. She is getting some new belts along with other new stuff and with this latest software update, will be 'rocking and rolling' to help have your quilts ready for Christmas............... which is on its way...

That's it for now. Stay tuned for further updates as we go through the next few months. I look forward to seeing everyone. Feel free to stop by the studio. Just let me know you are coming, wear a mask and stand 6 feet away............we can still talk and I'm still taking in quilts for quilting.

Thanks for all of the support you are giving me and I look forward to seeing you soon.
 

No comments: