Monday, August 24, 2020

Custom Quilting Costs WHAT!!??!!






THIS IS NOT A RANT    ........................ but is may sound like one. These are just some thoughts that I am having. As a professional, I really don't usually feel the need to explain my fees.

 Had a conversation today with a new client. We have never met and apparently she has never seen any of my custom work on quilts. We were discussing the cost of custom quilting on her absolutely beautiful quilt top. I explained that it would take me from 40 to as much as 80 hours of time to quilt her top and what that would cost...........I know she was somewhat shocked. You can hear that through the phone for sure. If I stuck with the lowest part of the quote I would make $7.50 per hour.............. if it were on the high side of the quote, it would be $10.00 per hour. This is far below what I would 'like' to make as an hourly rate (that quote would have been $800.-$1600).  Of course if it only took me 30 hours, the fee would be adjusted accordingly. She said that was more than she had anticipated. I told her to think about it and call me in a week or so and let me know whether or not to proceed.

I always quote my custom work somewhat high. I have to because I have no idea how long it will take or how 'custom' the quilt will insist on becoming. I don't want the client to be surprised at the fee.  For me, light custom is one design in the center of the quilt and a different design on the border. For each additional border, there is an additional fee. Once I am finished with the quilt, then the cost can be adjusted, usually downward, very rarely would it be higher without the clients knowledge. However for full custom quilting............it's all out design and stitch. 

Design........you know, that takes time too. With this particular quilt, I have already spent several/many hours just studying the quilt to see the most appealing way to quilt it. There are going to be upwards of 15 thread changes. There will be lots of 'stitch in the ditch'. These things I already know. By the time this quilt gets to the frame, I would have already put many design hours in so that I can start work. However, before I begin the actual quilting the entire quilt top will have to be basted to the backing so that I can move around the quilt with ease and roll it back and forth to try to reduce the number of times that I have to change thread.

So, now the quilt is on the frame and it needs my undivided attention. That reduces the amount of time that I can spend with edge2edge or light custom quilting. If I am not doing the edge2edge quilting, I am then not making any money, because I am only making $7.50 an hour on this custom quilt. I am in the BUSINESS of longarm quilting you know. This is my lively hood and my accountant, as well as the IRS expect me to make money with this BUSINESS. 

So, with all of this explaining/complaining, please understand that I LOVE MY JOB. And, I will happily make that $7.50 an hour and provide that client with a quilt worth thousands in the end. That is simply because it will make me happy to do so.

I just wish that we as longarmers could actually received the compensation we earn. As I type this, I am paying a painter to paint a couple of small walls in my kitchen. It will take him less than 2 hours and I am supplying the paint. His fee............................$300.00.............. go figure.

So, as you take your tops in for your favorite longarm quilter to work on, remember, she is a professional quilt artist and deserves proper compensation for her work. Most of you wouldn't work for $5.00 and hour...........why should we?

Have a great day and remember...........wash your hands and wear your mask.

No comments: