Thursday, January 3, 2019

The Story of a High Custom Quilt and the Life of a Longarm Quilter

It is January 2, 2019 and I have finally loaded this quilt on my frame. I am starting the quilt with it on Penelope Statler. I have had this top for over a month, but the client knew that I would not  be in a position to start work on it until now. I have also just received the digital designs for this quilt. Most of what I will be using is from Laurie Thomas of It's a Quilt Thing. I will use a few others from other designers and let you know what they are and I will also be doing some freehand work on the quilt.

The first decision that I needed to make was whether or not to add additional batting. My client wants Dream wool and that is a really good choice. However, I feel as though this quilt needs the additional stabilizing that a thin cotton, poly or blend black batting on the back would offer. So, I have added a layer of Hobbs 80/20 next to the black batik backing.
I have those on the frame and now comes the quilt top. Perfectly pieced by a Certified Judy Niemeyer instructor. It is the new Technique of the month, Dinner Plate Dahlia and it is beautiful (even though it is done in Georgia red and black------or Carolina garnet and black). Insert evil laugh and a big tiger paw!! It is also 100% batik fabrics. Not just the top, but, the backing too.
It took 5 hours to load and baste the quilt top on and now it is time to stitch.

January 3, 2019:
Well, I have spent the entire day with this quilt. To say it has been frustrating is an understatement. Bull Bat time could not get here fast enough. I am working on the stitch in the ditch that is really necessary on these tops. I started with a medium gray bottom line bobbin on a black and gray batik backing using first Superior monopoly smoke. Well, I was having thread breaks every few inches and when it wasn't breaking I was getting skipped stitches. Talk about frustration!!! So, I unquilted what I had stitched. Next it was Dark Gray in the bobbin and Clear Superior Monopoly on top............same thing. So..........I tried YLI clear thread with the dark gray in the bobbin......same. I also stopped plotting for the Statler, dropped the belts, put on the extended throat plate and started hand guiding the machine.........no change.
Finally, I decided I was exhausted from fighting with the process for the day. So I shut down and turned off the lights.
I have poured a glass of wine and I'm sitting here talking to you. I think that I have also decided to try Superior Microquilter tomorrow instead of invisible. Microquilter is 100 weight thread and should work well. Notice I said 'should'.
Once I get these 'bugs' worked out, things will begin to go smoother and faster. It is still going to be quite a journey. So, you are on board and we'll talk periodically to let you know the progress. So, what does the quilt actually look like? Well, this is a look at part of the top:
Remember, as I go forward with this, that this top is 100% square and perfectly pieced. Any problems that arise are typical of some that longarmers have, but, that are not usually known by our clients. I just thought you might be interested and it might also go well for you to understand why we charge what we do for our quilting.
Have a good evening and remember that 'Tomorrow is another day'..........


No comments: