Sunday, May 25, 2014

Cindy's Baskets-Continued

Saturday morning we started the SID (Stitch in the Ditch) around all aspects of the blocks. Any longarmer will tell you that this is one of the most difficult things we do on a quilt.
Cindy had picked certain parts of the published pattern that she liked and she brought me a picture of the "suggested" quilting. Oh boy, did that help out a lot.

I decided to pretty much follow their diagram and ditch everything. I could have actually spent an hour or more on each block and never cut a thread. However, I am changing thread for the feather work, so that wasn't going to work for me.

If you follow the lines in the patterns you can go all the way across the top and back without cutting your thread and doing a restart. It took me a row, but, I finally figured out the thread path. You would think that saved me some time, right? I must be the slowest longarm quilter in the country. It took me a full 6 hours to ditch this top. But, boy!!! does it look good.


I took the day off today to work on some of my own stuff.....It's Sunday after all...and I will be back with Cindy's quilt tomorrow after a little trip to the Dermatologist and getting up close and personal with a scapel. If everything is working correctly, I think that I will either start the background fill or the piano key border. Just not sure yet. I am not going to use this background fill that is shown in the pattern, I want to use something else...we'll see.  I will say that this wool batting is quilting beautifully.

Have a good evening and remember to check out the 'Sewing in the Summer' retreat for August. Spaces are filling and I don't want you to miss this fun retreat.

Keep your stitches even and your seams straight,

No comments: