I started loading this 5 hours ago:
First I drew a line on top of the batting so that I would have a guideline for pinning the top:
I used a marker that would disappear quickly. I am measuring down from the basting line that I used for the batting. I am making sure that I have plenty of room for the curves.
Then I pinned the curves back in as straight a line as I could lining up with the drawn blue line.
Is all of this clear as mud?
Next up, I basted the top with the horizontal channel lock engaged.
Due to the fact that I know that this top is going to present some challenges, I am going to baste the entire top down and just work in sections, as though I would be hand quilting it. I also used the vertical channel lock and basted in the other direction, in an effort to keep the sides straight.
As you can see, there will be some areas to work with as I go through the top.
I am sure there is an easier way to do this, but, I don't know it.
With so many challenges in this top, I felt that this is what I needed to do before I actually started the quilting process. Yes, it took a full morning, but, good preparation can make the difference between success or failure. I have also been in a position to see every inch of this top and become well acquainted with it.
Now, this afternoon...................I will actually begin the quilting process. This will take probably 3 or 4 days, so don't expect me to post again for a few days. You can check out and watch progress on my Facebook page since I usually post daily.
Finished pictures will post here when this is completed. Have a good week and stay cool.