Saturday, July 6, 2024

ONE LOOSE THREAD HAPPENINGS

 Good morning!! Today is Saturday, July 6, 2024!!! I am amazed that it has been over a year since I have posted about the happenings here at One Loose Thread Quilting. Time certainly does pass faster as you get older. 

I have continued to quilt for the public. Longarm quilting is challenging and fulfilling all at the same time. I think that is what keeps my brain working at this stage of my life. With each quilt top that I put on my frames I have to design, problem solve, and use different methods of communication to get the best product for the client. What design to quilt on it? What thread and thread color to use? What batting to use? How best to enhance the top but not over power the piecing? I still love what I do since each day is different.

However, I have gotten seriously behind schedule with client quilts over the last 2 months. I had to have unscheduled rotator cuff surgery. I was led to believe that I would be back to work in 2 weeks......... Don't ever believe what someone who has never actually had this surgery tells you. I have not been allowed to touch my machines in 6 weeks. However, I have been talking to my physical therapist and we think we have worked out a way that I can get back to 'light' work next week. I sure hope so. My clients have been so supportive during this time, but, I still feel bad that I have not been able to meet deadlines that I had promised. I have been cautioned not to 'over do' or I'll be back in surgery and this time for total shoulder. I CAN'T ALLOW THAT TO HAPPEN. So, slow and easy will win the race. Strength training will not begin until 10 weeks post op. I'll behave so that I can accomplish the goals set. That said, I will be caught up by the first of September and ready for Christmas work.

Now, I'm also registering for August quilt retreat. Thankfully, I have a lot of support from the 'Frayed Knots' with prepping and executing things for retreat. Then there is the needed muscle to move and set up equipment that is provided by my son and Gravatt Camp and Conference Center. Retreats could not happen without the help and co-operation of all involved. This particular retreat will be a 'bring your own projects' type of retreat. I have planned a specific project for the weekend and that activity will be led by K. Rollins. I'm looking forward to that. Then there is always the sharing that goes on between everyone that attends. Wonder what neat things we will learn this time? Wonder what 'have to have' tool we will all need to order?

I have had a small garden this summer. Dusty came over and prepped the water troughs for planting. The green beans that I planted did beautifully and I was able to share with several people the harvest. My tomatoes have done nothing. I have been better off buying them from a local vegetable stand. I did manage to grow enough squash to freeze some for this winter. Now it's time to pull all of that out and get ready for a fall/winter garden. I will plant collards and I have ordered my garlic (3 different kinds) to grow over the winter. I love looking out the window in the middle of winter and seeing the green garlic tops and those wonderful collard plants thriving.

Now, what personal projects am I working on? I have finished all of the diamonds for 'Queen of Diamonds'. Now it's time to border and sash these blocks into a full quilt top. My next EPP project is also Tula Pink. It's Tumbling Cosmos and will probably take me about 2 years. The slow stitching for English Paper Piecing is fun and relaxing. I haven't been piecing anything since my shoulder surgery since I can't use a rotary cutter. That will continue as time passes. 

Loosey is doing well. She stays close to me but really likes it when I allow her to visit with people here in the studio. I have to be careful there because she gets so excited and jumps all over people. She will forever be a puppy. She had appointed herself as my personal dishwasher and has to inspect and clean every dish when I finish eating. She does help me out alot with food prep in the kitchen. She likes to test avocado. celery, lettuce..... any vegetable that happens to be on the counter. I can't leave a tomato on the counter or she helps herself to it. 

Well, I've been up since 4:30 this morning just playing around in the studio. Now, I've had some breakfast and I think I'll go and try to load a quilt on Penelope Statler. I'll go slow and use the left arm as much as possible..........not the right arm. It would be really good to hear my longarms running after such a long period of time. 

Plus, I have rambled enough. It's too hot outside to be out there. Loosey told me to chill in the house so that's what I'm doing. Hope everyone has a safe Saturday. Stay cool and keep stitching.

LET'S GO SEW!!!





No comments: