Saturday, July 9, 2022

List of Things You Can't Do Alone When you Have Had Knee Replacement Surgery


 1. Take out the trash

2. Take the trash cart to the curb or bring it back to the house

3. Do laundry- can't take the step down to the washer/dryer or carry the laundry out there.

4. Go into garden to turn the water off/on or pick the vegetables

5. Run the vacuum to pick up all of the dog hair

6. Get the mail out of the box on the curb

7. Load a longarm machine

8. Go to the grocery store

9. Load the dogs to go for boarding----bring the dogs home.

10. 


What an experience this has become. One thing for sure! I could not have done this without the help of my friends, sisters, and son. It would be impossible..........no matter how hardheaded I am. 

It's been 10 days since my surgery. I have had 4 rounds of in home PT. I have been able to keep the pain under control with the help of some good drugs. Notice I said 'under control' not totally gone. Expecting to have NO pain is totally unrealistic. I've had major surgery. Lots of muscles, nerves, and tendons cut or repositioned. Bone cut and metal applied in the joint. I have to expect some pain. I think part of the trick is staying on top of it and not letting it get ahead of the medication. 

My PT is Tyler. He is calm and very understanding. He knows how far to push and then stop so that we don't damage anything. He also knows that I am exercising between visits as I have been insturcted to do. 

So, for now, it is exercise............... ice..............exerscise.............. ice and repeat. I'm drinking lots of water (miss my Bull Bat time wine) and eating sensibly. Sleeping good and occasional naps.

The dogs are home and Cooper is very slowly adjusting to not being able to get into the chair with me. He doesn't know 'his place' yet, but, hopefully will find it soon. 

This is certainly a 'learn as you go' experience. I'm sure I'll have to add to the list as I discover other things because I have a long road ahead. My current target date is August 3. We move into Gravatt Camp and Conference Center for 4 wonderful days of Summer Quilt Camp. Something to look forward to and a goal to work toward.............. makes life better everyday. :-)

That's it for now. Until later,

Y'ALL GO SEW!!!


No comments: