Wednesday, October 5, 2011

What HAVE I Been Working On?

I have been working on this. I found this panel at Pieces and Patches. Audrey was using it for an embellishment class that was to be taught at her shop. I bought it thinking that I would do the same, embellish it with beads, etc. I still might do that, but, that is not what I used it for. You probably can't see it, but, I have done all types of free motion quilting all over this piece, all from the front of the machine. I tried different designs (Yes, even feathers!!), different threads, and also a different way of batting. This piece is double batted. I have warm and natural next to the back and Dream Poly next to the top. I used Bottom Line prewound in the bobbin. Top threads included: Sew Fine, Robinson Anton, Superior Natural Colors, and Fil Tec's Glide Thread.
I loved working with the different threads. I have decided that I love Glide thread and will use it in other projects. It will just glisten off the top of a quilt. Beautiful.

I really do like the body in the wall hanging with the 2 types of batting. It has structure that I feel is needed in a wall hanging. I may try using a request loft of poly next time or even using wool, depending on the end results that I want.

The prewound bobbin was really the 'trick' to use on this piece. I am lovin' these things. I have other varieties to try later, but right now, all I have tried are the ones from Superior. I have used both Bottom Line and Sew Fine in the Superior prewound bobbins. I have some from Fil Tec, but, I have not had the chance to try them with Olivia yet. I'll let you know about them later.

OK. Now I have a clients quilt on the frame. It will be a challenge that I will be working on over the next few days.

 I am also working on my Lone Star Quilt. Remember this:
This is Helen's Lone Star. I have added pieced 3 additional borders for this top and will spend the next few days adding them to this center. During our November meeting of Devine Quilters we are to show our Lone Star's so that the committee can determine if we will have enough for an exhibit. If so, we hope to be mounting a Lone Star exhibit at the Richland County Public Library in September 2012.

I also have this Lone Star:

This was made around 2007. Sara Quattlebaum challenged me to make a Lone Star in miniature. We were doing a class out of the Jan Krentz book. So, that is just what I did. My diamonds are 1/2" wide as compared to the 2" half square triangle block that I used in Helen's star. This piece hung at the Ashville Quilt Show and won a Blue ribbon at the SC State Fair.

I hope to construct one more Lone Star this coming year. One that is not as big as Helen's and is a good size wallhanging larger than the miniature. We'll see.

OK, enough for now. We are less than 2 weeks away from QSC's Fall Retreat. I can't wait to 'pick' the brain for Karen Kendo on how to quilt several of my tops.

Hope your day is SEW beautiful,

2 comments:

Frog Quilter said...

Like the cute quilted panel.

Teresa said...

I enlarged the picture and could see your wonderful quilting. Just love what all you did. Those lonestar quilts are amazing.