Monday, June 25, 2012

Double Wedding Ring

My project last week was another 'first'. I had never quilted a Double Wedding Ring top, much less a vintage Double Wedding Ring. The first of the week I put this on the frame:
The top is hand pieced and the work-womanship is just about flawless. There are some areas of concern, but, I felt as though I could handle them. It looks like the pink border was added at a later date and it has mitered corners.

The first thing I did was to pin and stabilize the open areas as I came to them. I was doing that at the time that I used continuous curve on all of the arc sections and the 4-patch connectors. Instead of stitching in all 10 fabric sections I stitched as though there were only 5 in each arc.


It was a lot of fun to work my way across the top and back again without breaking the thread. Once a rythm was established, this part went fairly quickly. I can only work on something like this for about 4 hours a day and then we have to go to another day to work some more. So, most of the arcs were done in one day.

Tuesday I had 2 guild meetings, but, only attended one. Went to the Logan luncheon, sale, auction and had a blast. The food was amazing (quilters really know how to cook) and the whole event was very well planned and lots of fun.

Wednesday I was back to the quilt. That was when I started the feathering on the top. I worked on melons all that day:


Yes, there is some staining of the top, but, I really feel as though all of it will wash out. I hope to see this quilt after it has been washed.





I also had setting triangles and corners to work on so this went on until sometime Thursday or Friday.  I had to get a little inventive with these and I admit to doing a lot of 'Stand and Stare' to try to figure out what I wanted to do. This is what I came up with:






These are the little triangles that go all around the top.








This is what I picked out for all four corners. Next time I want to extend these feathers all the way into the corners.

Let's see now, what's left. Oh yes, the centers of the rings. What to do? What to do?


This is what I did: Simple feather looking flower in each one.


Finally it was time for the border. If I were doing it again I would make a change or two, but, I am happy with what I chose to do.













So, it took the week, but, I finally finished the quilting and this is what we ended up with:
First the front:
Now for the back. I just love looking at the backs of quilts. Especially when I used a plain wide back. I can really see the design work. Here ya go:


Look at the texture!! Sometimes I think that the back looks better than the front.

Now all I have to do is bind this big girl and Lynn will be able to come and pick it up. The binding alone will take several days. I have it cut and ready to sew on, but, had to stop over the weekend and work on a challenge for Knight Bee.

That's a whole other story for another time.

This quilt was lots of fun and as usual I learned many new 'things' that will help with the next one. Yes, I have another wedding ring on the schedule, so we will be discussing that when the time arrives.

Hope you have a good week and take some time to register for Sewin' in the Summer. Time is passing and soon we will actually be ..................Sewin' in the Summer....................

1 comment:

Judy lane scheihing said...

i love the quilt colors
plan on trying to set together one my self. i bought a vintage patter only to find it off , guess i will try once more.
u do lovely work. judy